Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pan-Fried Black Bean Burgers

I know I've mentioned this before, but our family tries to eat at least one meat-less dinner each week.  When I first tried making Black Bean Burgers for my husband and kids, I knew they'd have a fit!  So, I didn't say a word about what was in them.  My picky black-bean haters gobbled them up, and my husband thought I had definitely added some ground beef to the patties.  I love being a tricky mom!  Meatless goals aside, they are honestly one of my all-time favorite quick dinners.  We always fight over who gets the lunch leftovers.


Pan-Fried Black Bean Burgers
-Alyssa Griffeth-
1- 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c. panko bread crumbs
1 tsp. chile powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 Tbs. lime juice
1 Tbs. mayo
2 Tbs. diced jalapeno
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
freshly ground pepper

1/4 c. canola oil
Hamburger buns
burger toppings (see below)

Mash beans using a food processor or potato masher (which is all I use-- one less dish to clean, right?!).  Add all remaining ingredients (except oil) and combine well.  If mixture seems too dry, add a little extra lime juice (or water).  If it seems too wet, add a few more panko bread crumbs.  Knead mixture with hands until well-mixed and firm.  Divide into patties (I usually make 5 or 6 big ones or a bunch of small sliders).  Top patties with extra kosher salt. 

Heat canola oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.  Cook the patties for 5-7 minutes on each side until browned and slightly crisp.  Serve on buns or wrapped in lettuce leaves, with the following toppings:

-cheddar cheese slices
-lettuce
-tomato
-avocado
-grilled onions or red onion sliced thin
-fry sauce (1/2 ketchup, 1/2 mayo)
-Optional: grilled poblano peppers (as pictured)-- although, I think I prefer these to be a little more simplistic
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment