Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup


We can't seem to get enough Mexican food lately! It's all I'm ever wanting to make these days. And I know that hot weather is fast approaching, but I couldn't wait until Fall to post this fabulous soup recipe! It's full of veggies and has tons of fresh flavor (thanks to the lime juice and cilantro), so my family will still be eating it all summer long. It's such a great soup and if you already have cooked chicken, it comes together in less than half an hour. My idea of a perfect meal!


Chicken Tortilla Soup

-adapted from The Sisters Cafe-



1Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 4oz. can diced green chilis
1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp. if you like things REALLY mild)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 16 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 can Great Northern beans
2 c. frozen white corn
4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime squeezed over soup
3/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper

Toppings: baked tortilla strips, diced avocado, and sour cream In a large pot, heat oil and sauté onion and chilies. Saute until tender. Add the chicken and spices. Add tomatoes, beans, and corn. Add the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or longer to bring out flavors. Stir in fresh cilantro. Ladle into bowls and garnish with toppings.

Baked Tortilla Strips:

10 white corn tortillas
Pam spray
kosher salt

Cut tortillas in half and then into very thin strips in the opposite direction. Place on a greased baking sheet and Spray generously with cooking oil ( like Pam). Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake in 350 oven until light brown and crisp (about 10 minutes?).

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. This makes my heart sing! I love tortilla soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyss - I know...don't be shocked but I cooked last night and I made this soup. It turned out great with one exception, I didn't know what size can you meant in relation to the chillies. I put a 16 oz. in and oh my - we were all crying from how spicy it was! Thought you would get a kick out of that. Going to try a different chicken one that you have up tonight.

    Lots of Love-
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather!! I'm so so sorry about the super spicy soup! I have never even seen a 16 oz. can of green chilies....Only 4 oz. and 7oz. (either of which should have been fine). But I've specified the can size in the recipe now. Sorry for the mix up!!!

    ReplyDelete