Monday, June 14, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Crockpot Chicken (for tacos, etc.)

This is another one of my favorite go-to weeknight meals lately. I used to make a similar version of this chicken when I first got married (using salsa instead of diced tomatoes), but kind of forgot about it until another friend made it for me recently. I had forgotten how much I LOVED the flavor and versatility of it. Plus, I never seem to have enough crockpot recipes, which makes me love it even more! It makes the yummiest chicken tacos (which is what I primarily use it for) but the mixture is also wonderful on on taco salads, in baked taquitos, or on nachos.


Sweet and Spicy Crockpot Chicken
-Adapted from: Prudence Pennywise-


3 chicken breasts (if frozen, I like to partially thaw and drain some of the liquid)
1- 14oz. can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (use 1/4 tsp. if you want it REALLY mild)

Place all ingredients inside of crockpot. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours, or until tender. Shred chicken with two forks and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve as desired.

For tacos, we like to place chicken on flour tortillas and top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, shredded romaine lettuce, and diced avocado.)

(Note: You can easily cook chicken as directed, then freeze in a ziplock bag when cooled. To serve, thaw and reheat in a small saucepan.)

Posted by Picasa
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment