Monday, June 14, 2010

Strawberry Salad

This is SUCH an amazing salad. I cannot get enough of it! It's certainly not the healthiest of salads, but it's a perfect treat for any party or shower. And it makes a GORGEOUS presentation, which is always a plus!

(*Note: I've made the dressing with storebought jam and it wasn't nearly as good! It's still a decent substitute, but use homemade if you can get your hands on some....Or just come over to my house....I always have a freezer full of jam!)

Strawberry Salad

-Alyssa Griffeth-
 
**All amounts are approximate, and this recipe is written to serve a crowd. It's easy to make a bigger or smaller salad as needed (or add more/less of what you like/don't like).
2 large heads romaine lettuce, sliced in 1/2 inch strips
1/2 red onion, sliced paper-thin
2 lbs. strawberries, sliced
1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 pkg. wonton wrappers, cut into strips and fried until crispy
1 1/2 c. candied cashews
2-3 avocados, diced

Cashews: In a saucepan, add about 2/3 c. white sugar. Cook until sugar is just melted, stiring constantly. Quickly add cashews and mix to coat.  Remove from heat before the sugar burns. Transfer nuts to greased wax paper and break apart when cooled.

Strawberry Dressing:

1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. HOMEMADE strawberry jam

Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and thick.

Place lettuce in a large bowl and toss with desired amount of dressing.  Add toppings in rows for a beautiful presentation, but gently combine before serving. 

Posted by Picasa
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. This is so amazing, I just substituted the cashews with slivered almonds and it was yummy! Thanks for your amazing ideas. My family loves the chocolate chip cookie bars and coconut french toast! Your a great cook. Thanks for sharing your receipes and ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that I found your blog. We were in the same ward freshman year (except I was Melissa Durtschi back then). I was talking to Erin and she told me about this blog. I am trying this recipe tonight, yum!

    I do have two questions though, can you use regular vinegar for the dressing and what happens if you use regular mustard? I am a total amateur at cooking, but I'm trying to get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! SO great to hear from you and see your cute blog/family as well!

    As far as the recipe goes, I would really try to use red wine vinegar for this one. It's a lot milder than regular vinegar and almost adds a sweet flavor. I find that I cook with it almost weekly, so hopefully you won't end up with a full bottle sitting in your pantry forever. :)

    I would imagine the mustard substitute would be no problem, although I can't say I've ever tried it. I might add a little less than what the recipe calls for though-- Because regular mustard is more concentrated. If you're interested, there are quite a few substitute recipes online (like this one):

    DIJON MUSTARD: For 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, use 1 tablespoon dry mustard mixed with 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and a pinch of sugar.

    Who knows how good they are, but it's worth trying, right?!? Good luck and happy cooking!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete