Monday, March 8, 2010

Glazed Mini Meatloaves

You'll have to believe me when I say how EMBARRASSED I am to be posting a recipe for .....ugh..... meatloaf-- But I HAD to share this one! I have never EVER been a meatloaf fan. In fact, I can honestly say that it is one of the few things I absolutely refused to cook. The name sounds gross, and there's nothing I hate more than a big slice of dry ground beef sitting on my plate (which never seems to have enough of that yummy, sticky sauce!). But my poor husband has begged me to make it several times over the last few months, so when I came across this recipe, I thought I'd give it a go. It was a HUGE success! I love that each person gets their own crisp, sweet, ultra-flavorful individual serving, and the meat-to-sauce ratio was absolutely perfect. Served with potatoes, salad, and some green veggies, this made the perfect man-pleasing meal!

Glazed Mini Meatloaves
adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

Yields: 5-6 mini meatloaves

Meatloaves:

17-20 saltine crackers, crushed fine (about 2/3 cup)
1/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup minced FRESH parsley (flat-leaf)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (not too lean, or it will be too dry....I used 80/20.)
2 teaspoons oil

Glaze:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs, milk, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, egg, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add ground meat and combine until uniform. Shape mixture into 5-6 oval loaves.

Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is slightly rippling. Add meatloaves and brown well on one side, 3-5 minutes. Carefully flip loaves over and tidy up edges using a spatula. Brown the other side for 2-3 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix glaze ingredients together until smooth. Transfer mini meatloaves to a foil-lined 9x13 dish and spoon the glaze over the top of each meatloaf. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the center of the loaf registers 160 degrees or until center is no longer pink.

Posted by Picasa
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment