Thursday, February 4, 2010

Perfect Bruschetta

Several months ago, my husband and I headed to the theater to see the movie "Julie and Julia." One scene in particular had us both salivating....It was when Julie makes bruschetta for her boyfriend. Of course hers was SWIMMING in butter, but I knew I had to make some of my own! And it most certainly did not disappoint. We actually had it as our main course for dinner, because we had all eaten late lunches that day. It was the perfect light, but filling dinner, and I'm sure we'll be having it much more often when we have lots of yummy summer tomatoes to choose from.

Perfect Bruschetta
-Adapted from Julie and Julia-

1 loaf french bread
1/2 c. butter
Vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
3-5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Olive Oil
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
Fresh Parmesan cheese

In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, oil and seasonings. Let mixture rest in the fridge while you prepare toast rounds.

In a very large skillet, melt 1/4 c. butter over medium-high heat**. Slice bread into 3/4 inch slices. Toast bread on both sides until butter is absorbed and toast is lightly browned.

Remove from pan, sprinkle with fresh Parmesan and top with tomato mixture. Top with additional Parmesan and serve immediately.

**If you don't have a large skillet (mine is about 15") that could fit half the loaf of bread at once, reduce amount of butter and toast in smaller batches.

Posted by Picasa
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I loved that scene too! I'm waiting until summer when we have our garden so I can recreate these! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete