Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blue Cheese Dressing

I should preface this recipe by mentioning that I am by NO means a blue cheese fanatic. I like it chopped finely and in very small amounts, with just enough to add its signature kick of flavor. You will RARELY find me ordering blue cheese dressing at a restaurant, but I decided to see if I liked it better when I made my own version. The verdict?? AMAZING! We loved it, and it will most definitely be gracing our table for years to come. We ate it on top of these yummy blue cheese lettuce wedges.

I love that it makes a small amount so I don't have lots of leftovers to store. It was the perfect amount for me to serve on three dinner-sized main course salads, but it would stretch much farther on side salads.

The other thing I love is that it's not too strong. You can achieve this by using Gorgonzola instead of blue cheese (and milk instead of buttermilk) for a milder taste. Feel free to adjust according to your tastes.

Blue Cheese Dressing
-Alyssa Griffeth-

2 1/2 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or Blue Cheese
3 Tbs. milk or buttermilk
3 Tbs. sour cream
2 Tbs. mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper (lots!)

In a small bowl, mash cheese and milk with a fork until it resembles cottage cheese. Stir in remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. To thin dressing out, add milk 1 tsp. at a time until it reaches desired consistency.

Refrigerate before serving, if possible. Serve on salad or as a vegetable dip.

Posted by Picasa
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment