Friday, January 22, 2010

The Milwaukee Dog

While it's just slightly embarrassing (and definitely very "Hillbilly") to post a recipe for HOT DOGS on my recipe blog, I just HAD to share this one. And I honestly can't stand hot dogs, but these are amazing! I think the key is using good quality all beef hot dogs, so you aren't consuming any nasty "fillers."
Last Saturday, we went to a birthday party for one of our daughter's little friends, and for lunch they served a hot dog bar. They had a typed out list of recipes to make various types of hot dogs, chili dogs, etc. I fell in love with the Milwaukee Dog. You just have to try them...
Milwaukee Dogs
-Kendee R.-

-Good quality all-beef hot dogs (I only use Hebrew National)
-hot dog buns
-caramelized onions
-spicy brown mustard (don't substitute, trust me!)
-mayonnaise
-brown sugar

Preheat grill or turn oven to 500 degrees.

Cut a yellow onion in half and slice into very thin semi-circles. Place in a small saute pan, with a drizzle of olive oil and a few tablespoons of white sugar. Stir frequently with tongs until onions soften and turn very light brown. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, grill hot dogs. Or, if you're like me and don't want the hassle of grilling, place hot dogs on a foil-covered cookie sheet and broil for a few minutes, turning every two minutes until crisp on all sides.

Warm buns and spread one side generously with mayo. Top mayo with 1-2 Tbs. brown sugar. (The sugar will melt and create a yummy sauce-- You won't even taste the mayo.) Top brown sugar with caramelized onions.

Add a grilled hot dog to the bun and drizzle with spicy brown mustard. Enjoy!

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alyssa!

    You sound just like me when it comes to Hot Dogs! If you want some realllly good quality meat you should try Allen Brothers. It's a bit pricy, but, it's very tasty! Their hamburger meat is very good as well!

    I love your cooking blog. I've come across it a few times and have enjoyed getting some ideas. BTW, Lindsay and I were in the same ward for awhile and when we almost moved to Texas {McKinney area} she mentioned she had family out there. I just didn't want you thinking I was some random person looking at your blog =)

    If you want an invite to my blog shot me an email. Then you can put a name with a face =)
    karalwood@yahoo.com

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete