Thursday, November 5, 2009

Garlic-Sautéed Green Beans

We eat green beans quite often in our house. I LOOOVE them, but only when they are flavorful and not over-cooked. My all-time favorite bean recipe is HERE, but it’s much too fussy (and unhealthy) for our regular weeknight meals. We save that one for special occasions and holidays. :)

So tonight, as I was preparing dinner, I decided to write down exactly how I prepare my beans, so you can enjoy them too. They’re super easy and quick, so have everything ready to go, since they will come together quickly. I have a rule when cooking veggies (in most cases) that I don’t actually turn on the stove until AFTER I’ve called my family to the table. That way, our veggies are always piping hot and crisp by the time I’ve rounded up the troops.

Note: If you buy your French Green Beans at Costco, one bag makes TWO batches of these.


Garlic-Sautéed Green Beans
-Alyssa Griffeth-

1 lb. French green beans (the long and skinny ones (NOT frozen)—I get mine at Costco)

2-4 cloves fresh garlic (I do about 3 average-sized cloves)

olive oil
Kosher salt
Black pepper
1 Tbs. butter
sesame seeds, optional

In a large sauté pan, drizzle in about a tablespoon of olive oil. While oil is heating up over medium heat, rinse beans and cut about ½ inch off of both ends. (I just grab a big handful, line the beans up evenly, rinse them, then chop the ends off all together instead snapping them each one at a time.)

Toss beans into pan and drizzle with another few teaspoons of olive oil. Using a garlic press, squeeze 3-4 garlic cloves directly onto the beans. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt (don’t skimp on this!) and freshly ground black pepper.

Saute beans for 4-5 minutes, depending on how you like them cooked….Just don’t over-do it, because in the time between finishing cooking and sitting down to eat, they will steam a little more….And NOBODY likes mushy beans! We like ours a little al dente.

Check beans and add more kosher salt if necessary. Add a tablespoon of butter and stir until melted. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Serve immediately.

Posted by Picasa
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment