Friday, October 30, 2009

Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls

I LOVE making (and eating) my mother-in-law's homemade rolls. But there are a few things I can't stand about making bread: #1- It completely consumes my kitchen! #2- The leftovers are never as good the next day.

When I make rolls, it's usually when guests are coming over. But I hate the mess and last-minute prep work that is required to have fresh, hot rolls coming out of the oven the minute my dinner guests walk through the front door!! For this reason, I've had my eyes open for a good roll recipe that can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. These rolls fall perfectly into that category!

We're having some of my 2-year-old's best buddies and their parents come over tomorrow for a pre trick-or-treating soup party! I wanted homemade rolls of some sort, but knew that my day would be more than hectic! So today, I made this dough and baked a few rolls, just to make sure they tasted okay. They are a little more hearty and dense than my other favorite roll recipe, but I still LOVED them! They are chewy and super soft, and truly delicious with their buttery tops. I can't wait to have a stress-free day tomorrow, but still be able to have fresh rolls along with our soup. (P.S.- The best part? This dough will last in the fridge for up to 7 DAYS!)


Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls
Adapted from: The Sister's Cafe

1 T. yeast
¼ c. warm water
1 Tbs. sugar
3 c. buttermilk (slightly warmed)
3 c. flour
---
½ c. sugar
3 eggs, beaten with a fork
2 tsp. salt
7+ c. flour (dough is a little sticky, but shouldn't be too sticky)
½ c. oil
1 tsp. baking soda

Dissolve yeast and sugar in ¼ c. warm water, and let proof for about 5 minutes. Mix the buttermilk, flour and yeast mixture together in a large mixing bowl. Let this stand at room temperature until double in size, about 2 hours. (I always speed this step up by putting my mixing bowl in a 170 degree oven. It takes about half the time. Just cover it with a wet paper towel and a clean dish towel so it doesn't dry out.)

Add sugar, salt, flour, oil, and baking soda. Mix well and add beaten eggs. If dough is too sticky, add more flour. Kneed for 7-10 minutes with an electric mixer. Roll out whatever portion of dough you want to use and place the rest in the refrigerator (in an air-tight container). The next time you want fresh rolls, take what you want from the bowl and again put the rest back in the refrigerator. It will keep for 7 days.

On a floured surface, roll dough into a large circle and cut into "pie pieces"- The number will depend on how much dough you are using. Take each section of dough and roll from the wide end to the narrow end. Place on greased baking sheets. Let rolls rise, covered, until double in size. Time depends on the room temperature, usually 1½ - 2 hours. Dough from the refrigerator will take longer because the dough is cold.

Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Rub hot rolls with a stick of cold butter until nicely coated.

Posted by Picasa
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment