Friday, April 17, 2009

Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce

I made this for our dinner swap last week...And just as I was about to head out the door, the missionaries stopped by and mentioned that their dinner appointment had cancelled on them last minute. Of course, we offered to have them stay for dinner! I was a little nervous because I was trying a new recipe, but as it turned out, the chicken got RAVE reviews! One of the missionaries said, "this is the BEST chicken I've EVER tasted!" I think he must have just been REALLY hungry! On a scale of 1-10, I would have given it a 7 or 8, but it seems that it was a 10 to everyone else! So try it, and let me know what YOU think! (P.S.- I TOTALLY forgot to take a photo...I will next time though.) Oh, and one more thing...Beware, this is not the healthiest dish in the world! Sorry! I may try making it with fat free half and half next time, but the sauce probably won't be quite as thick.

Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce

1/2 cup milk
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
4 chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups whipping cream
1 tsp. dried basil
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

If chicken breasts are large, cut in half or place between 2 pieces of wax paper and pound with a rolling pin or mallet. You don't want the chicken super thin, just try to even it out a bit so it cooks evenly and doesn't dry out. I think my chicken ended up being about an inch to an inch and a half thick. If your chicken is already small, just omit this step.

Place milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs. In a skillet over medium heat cook chicken in butter until golden brown on both sides (It won't be cooked all the way through). Remove chicken from skillet and place in a glass baking dish.

Add chicken broth to skillet and stir to loosen up browned bits from pan. Stir in cream, basil, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in Parmesan cheese. Pour sauce over chicken in the glass pan. Bake chicken for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven, until cooked through.

Note: You can easily prepare the chicken and sauce ahead of time. But 30 minutes before serving, pour sauce over chicken and bake. I love recipes like this because I can have my kitchen CLEAN before guests arrive!
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa,
    I just served dinner to 5 couples for Stephen's prom. I used this chicken dish (fresh basil is fabulous in it)as one of the entrees, the caramelized green beans, and the Brazilian Limeade as one the drink choices. They were all fabulous! Thanks for sharing them! Burke went to Brazil on his mission and remembers making and drinking the limeade made from whole limes. He insists that's the only way to go. I love your cooking blog. Keep it up! Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,
    Someone at church told me about your fabulous cooking blog. I loved this dish! I hope you don't mind me stalking your blog for more yummy recipes. I don't like to cook but with your recipes I am really starting to enjoy it. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete