Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Veggie Bagel Sandwiches


For the last couple of months, I've been trying to prepare a vegetarian dinner at least once a week. I have NO plans of becoming a vegetarian or anything, but I think it's kind of nice to cut meat out of our diets every once in a while. It makes me feel a little healthier, and summer is the PERFECT time to cook with lots of great produce. This meal has become one of our staples...

I honestly think I have a sandwich fetish. But I only like the really good ones with all the yummy stuff. I got the original recipe from the Pioneer Woman two summers ago, and we've been in love with them ever since. At first, when I told my husband I was making him veggie sandwiches, he scoffed. But he quickly ate his words, and asks me to make these all the time now! They are absolutely MASSIVE (and SO messy to eat), but 100% worth it. Trust me....Even a manly-man won't be hungry after eating one of these babies! And the best part about this meal is all of the raw vegetables-- So, so healthy (aside from all the cheese and bread....Ha!).

Veggie Bagel Sandwiches
-adapted from The Pioneer Woman-

6 Asiago cheese bagels (I get mine from Costco)
"Chive and Onion" cream cheese
2 avocados
alfalfa sprouts
12 slices Muenster cheese
1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
red onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes
Lettuce

Wash and slice all vegetables. Toast bagels and spread both sides with cream cheese.
Top LEFT side with: sliced avocado (mashed down with a fork), kosher salt, then sprouts, then 1 slice of Muenster cheese.
Top RIGHT side with thinly sliced cucumber and red onion. Add tomato slices, 1 more piece of Muenster, and a piece of lettuce.
Place halves together and slice in half.
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment