Friday, March 13, 2009

Double-Decker Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa


(This is what the salsa looks like without avocado. It's still yummy, but SOOO good with avocado.)
There are many stories that involve me and my avocado obsession. My love for them stems back to when I was a toddler. One time, I was sitting in my high chair near the table as my family closed their eyes to say a prayer before dinner. It must have been a long one because when everyone opened their eyes, I had eaten the ENTIRE plate of sliced avocados that my grandma had put on the table! Fast forward to a few years later....I was turning 3-years-old, and my grandparents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I begged them to give me an avocado....That was all I wanted. Needless to say, I'll find any excuse to add it to a recipe! Speaking of....
These are quite the step up from your plain old tacos. The salsa is a MUST! You'll never go back! And they are soooo filling. The thing I love about it is that it's tropical and fun...So different from "the usual." But, I also love that the avocado stays bright green for several days because of the lime and mango juices. You could easily make it early in the day and serve it for dinner. It's best when chilled in the refrigerator anyway.
Double-Decker Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa
-Alyssa Griffeth-
Mango Salsa:

3 fresh mangoes, diced finely
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (I do 1.5 w/ NO seeds)
1/4 c. red onion, minced
1/4 c. fresh chopped cilantro (add more if you like)
Juice from 1 lime
garlic salt
2 avocados (optional, but it makes it AMAZING)

Combine salsa ingredients and season to taste. Chill before serving. Prepare taco meat as you usually would. Season accordingly.

Spread a tortilla with a thin layer of refried beans. Sprinkle on some cheddar cheese and microwave for 30 seconds. Top with a hard taco shell and wrap tortilla onto the shell. Fill with taco meat, mango salsa, shredded lettuce, and sour cream.



(This is what the salsa looks like WITH avocado.)
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment